Friday, 21 March 2014

How To Avoid Injury's Chief Companion

I was recently asked for some advice on running by a friend who is training for Tough Mudder. He wanted to know why he got shin splints and how to get rid of them. I did a quick diagnosis, and by that I mean I asked him what he does for training, and basically I got out of it that he went from running 0 miles one week to running 20 the next. Now I'm no medical expert, but it would seem to me that this is a prime example of "too much too soon". To be perfectly honest he was lucky he didn't continue with this trend before he developed something a little more debilitating than shin splints, which is something every runner goes through at least once. So then how much is the right amount to increase your weekly training?

Many runners, including myself, follow what is known as "The 10% Rule". The premise of it is precisely as the name suggests - increase your training by 10% per week whether that is miles run, workout duration or weight lifted. For example if someone ran 30 miles one week then the next they would safely be able to increase to 33. A very simple practice, but effective at preventing injury which is its main function.

Here is a quick running example:
Week 1
30 Miles
Week 2
33 Miles
Week 3
37 Miles
Week 4
41 Miles
Week 5
45 Miles
A great majority of injuries occur because of overuse. Your enthusiasm may be the trait that is going to have you sitting on the couch when you could be practicing. Now I am not saying your enthusiasm is a bad thing, quite the contrary actually, just that you must learn to control it - TRAIN SMART. Your enthusiasm will still be there when it matters alongside a fully functional body.

Now the 10% rule is really only a guideline, increasing by 12% isn't going to kill you, but if stick close by it then unless you do something utterly stupid your body will be there and ready to perform come race day without having had any injury weeks off.

So train smart and good luck with whatever is motivating you to train.

No comments:

Post a Comment